University Christian High School was begun with the understanding that students would be ready to take college course work at Lenoir-Rhyne University beginning in the 11th and/or 12th grade. As the result of an expansion of course offerings, students can now complete their graduation requirements without the rigor of dual-enrollment courses. UCHS will continue to maintain all its core courses at Honors level. With that in mind, the following criteria will be followed for student admissions:
- A grade point average in the range of 3.2 and above (CONVERSION TABLE); or Top 30% in both Math and Reading as expressed in nationally-normed achievement tests. An average 70th percentile may be considered if all other requirements are above average.
- For EOC-tested NC course work in the eighth grade, a score of level 3 or 4 is required. A level 4 is highly recommended.
- Any student not taking Algebra I in the 8th grade must take the UCHS placement test to determine Algebra I readiness. A student must be prepared for at least Algebra I to be accepted. Students who have taken Algebra I are required to take the Algebra II readiness test.
- All students must attain a favorable result on their Reading/Writing admissions test.
- Three teacher references are required to determine student work ethic and responsibility. Teacher recommendation form is attached to the application. A student must a have an above-average score on this instrument for acceptance.
- There shall be a student interview conducted by the Principal, counselor, and teachers of UCHS. Parents are included in the interview process in a follow-up session which includes the school interview team, the prospective student and his/her parent(s).